Human Capital Management available for Openbravo ERP 2.50MP6!
Human Capital Management capabilities are now available in Openbravo ERP!
Human Capital Management module is intended to provide solid base employee information management capacity so further human capital management functionality can be developed on top of it. The module adds a Human Capital Management folder to the main menu that contains windows to manage employees, salary categories, positions, teams and contract types.
The management structure of the company is modeled with the concept of Teams, that is, areas, subareas, departments, etc. are called Teams. For each team, a parent team can be specified and this way, the managing tree can be defined. Each team can have a manager in charge determined for certain time period. The system records all the activity related to employment information, so, a historical record of team managers is kept within the application. The different jobs an employee could perform are modeled with the Position concept. Each position can be matched with several Salary Categories.
Let’s now define the employee concept.
Employees are a specific type of business partners. In Openbravo ERP, in the business partner window there is a tab named employee where a business partner can be checked as being an employee. After installing the module, this tab will still be operative, but a new specific window to enter further information of employees will be provided. This window will be located in the Human Capital Management menu. The employees entered though that window will still be business partners and will be available through the regular business partner window.
The new employee window has the following tabs:
- Header Tab: In the header tab, personal information of the employee can be inserted.
- Contact Tab: In the contact tab the user can insert as many telephones, e-mail addresses, mobile phones, etc. as needed. There is a flag to check whether those contacts are private or business contacts. It is also possible to select which one is the default contact.
- Location Tab: In the same way, as many addresses as needed can be inserted in this tab and they could be set as private address or business address.
- Bank Information Tab: Additionally, as many bank account as necessary can be inserted. One of them can be selected as default bank account.
- Employment Information Tab: This is the most complex tab. Here, the information related to the employees’ activity in the company is entered: the position, the salary, the contract type, etc. The records in this tab are created in a draft status. Once the information is valid, the complete button must be pressed and the record will be saved. The status of the record will be historic, complete or future depending on the data range. The completed records can not be changed, and this way, historical data regarding the employees’ activity in the company is registered.
- Family Member Tab: This tab is meant to keep information of relatives or next of kin.
- Operational Resource Tab: This tab allows the setting of the values available in the employee tab of business partner window.
- Other Citizenship Tab: This tab allows the insertion of more than one citizenship for an employee if needed.
Don’t hesitate to check the user manual for more information!
Human Capital Management Roles
The module provides three roles ready to be assigned to the users: Human Capital Manager, Manager and Employee. The Human Capital Manager will have complete access to all the functionality of the module, and will be the role in charge of every process related to human resource management. The manager role will have access to a specific window for managers, called employee (manager view). Only the records of the employees reporting to the manager will be available in this window. The information in this window will be read only: if a change is required, it should be done via the human capital manager. Finally, the role employee has access to a window called employee self-service where each employee can access his/her information. Except for the employment data, that will be read only, the rest of the information will be editable by the employee.
For those of you interested in the insides of the code, here are some comments.
All the windows of this module have been generated by WAD. As for that, some new tables had to be created, and some core tables had some columns and constraints added. For instance, the employee window is based on the core table c_bpartner, which had some new columns added.
Along the different windows and tabs, there are some fields that happen to appear and disappear depending on certain fact. If this fact can be found in the same table, this logic is implemented using display logic functionality, which can be defined in the application dictionary when a field is described. If the reason to hide or display a field does not depend on a value of a field of the window itself, auxiliary input functionality must be used. This was used for instance in the employment information tab, to display the field bonus % depending on the bonus type of the selected salary category.
Additionally, the read only logic functionality, available on the column definition in the application dictionary, was used to make the fields read only or not depending on certain value. This was used in the employment information tab to make most fields read only if the record is not in draft status.
Some of the fields, for instance known as field in employee window header, have a callout associated to them. This callout will calculate the value of the field when some other field is changed. In this case, the known as field is changed whenever a change is done in the name or last name fields. Know as field is the concatenation of the previous fields. A more complex callout is used to reload the values of the drop down field salary category, whenever a change is done in the position field. The salary categories available for the selected position are loaded. All this callouts have been developed using Data Access Layer utility.
Data Access Layer has being used as well to develop every single process in the module. Every button in the module is linked to a process defined in the application dictionary. This processes are java files that implement org.openbravo.scheduling.Process. Using DAL utility database information is retrieved and the required modifications done in the data.
Finally, there is one process which is not executed with a button. It is a background process which can be scheduled through the process scheduling functionality to run periodically. This process updates the employment information records of the employees, setting to historic status the ones whose end date is reached.
For further details please have a look at the technical specifications of this project which can be found at Openbravo Forge.
Extending Human Capital Management Module
This module provides the basic functionality to be able to store and maintain employee information. Further developments, such as reports, can be done on top of this to exploit and expand all this information. Extensions to cover a wider area of Human Capital Management such as vacation management, recruitment etc. are more than welcome. Now, feel free – and we encouraged you– to develop any extension for Human Capital Management!